Monday, November 08, 2021

Exploring Open Access Collections: The Skater by Gilbert Stuart

A few years ago I learned about the Rijksmuseum inviting creative people to download images from their collection to do creative things.

Now I find many museums with Open Access collections and I rejoice.


Today I will share a portrait that fascinates me: The Skater (portrait of Sir William Grant) by Gilbert Stuart. The portrait is from 1782 and is done in oil on canvas. The image is available for download courtesy of the National Gallery of Art, Washington here:

https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.39729.html


Portrait of William Grant in a black suit, arms crossed, ice-skating

Just look at that stern, focused face, those standoffish crossed arms and the incongruous grace and whimsy of the shapely legs on skates. I'm comforted to learn that the action pose was as unexpected to audiences of the time as it was for me. Good job Gilbert Stuart!


Next time I'll show you what I made from the picture after I downloaded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment