Monday, September 06, 2021

Distorted Portrait Studies

I started taking weird snapshots a couple of years ago. I would take the pictures from above, letting foreshortening distort faces. Now I've started sketching from those photos.

For this first one, I selected out 3 colored pencils from my bag at random. Peach, orange and violet were an easy set to color with. I sketched in some of the fine, dark shadows with a Pigma Micron pen and I blocked in the background with a purple Tombow marker to make it pop.

Distorted portrait study, 5.5 by 8.5 inches (14 by 21.6 cm), mixed-media on paper

Later that evening, I turned the page and drew another in graphite while watching shows with my family. The marker shows through in places, making for an interesting contamination.

Distorted portrait study, 5.5 by 8.5 inches (14 by 21.6 cm), graphite on paper

The sketchbook I used was too tightly bound for me to get a good scan of the drawings, so I took photos and played with a perspective distortion to square-up the pages. This distorted the drawings even more than the odd photos did. Overall I was encouraged by these studies and I'm planning to explore these ideas further.


No comments:

Post a Comment