Friday, September 10, 2021

Still-life #1: Origami Paper Crane in Gouache

I started to freeze-up when I decided to paint my first gouache still-life. What would I paint? I was reading Daily Painting by Carol Marine and got overwhelmed with all the ideas. I think I picked the color for the painting before the subject. I decided to limit my palette to greens. While I didn't specifically intend to paint a green object, my little green origami crane jumped out at me as a great subject with its clearly defined facets.

Monochrome green painting of an origami crane seen from the side, facing left. The painting is signed with the initials H R T
Origami Paper Crane, 5.5 by 8.5 inches (14 by 21.6 cm), gouache on paper


I scanned the finished painting on an old HP printer. Without any post-processing, the contrast in the scan looked better than how the painting looks under the light at my desk!

No comments:

Post a Comment